Thursday, April 19, 2012

MORE: Evolving My Worship (A Song Review)

I've always wanted my blog to be diverse with the type of material I post. Hence the reason why my posts range from short stories, poetry, movie reviews and more. I haven't however written a review of any music. Which is kind of strange because music is a major part of my life. In today's post I want to switch it up a bit and review a song that I have had on repeat for the entire week: "More" by Lawrence Flowers & Intercession.

Gospel music to me is rhythmic accounts and testimony that chronicles how amazing God has been in your life and celebrates the love and adoration one has for Christ. I simply love Gospel music.

Oh the worshipper in me wants to be free/from the cares of life that seem to weigh me down/Yes the worshipper in me needs consistency/to lift my hands to give you praise when  no ones around.

The opening lyrics of the song "More" by Lawrence Flowers and Intercession spoke to me immediately. I grew up in a very old school, family oriented church. It wasn't uncommon for Sister Johnson to tell me to sit down even though she wasn't my Mother, and I listened because I knew my parents would not stand for me being disrespectful to an adult. As a child, I always had moments where my entire body wanted to jump up in worship because even as a child I knew how much I loved Jesus and was very aware of His presence in my life.

Oh the worshipper in me wants to break free/from the intellectual mentality/like when I should be up I'm seated in my seat/I should be lifting my hands, giving you praise, and glory.

I even recall one time during the children's choir rehearsal, I had to be about 12, I came up with these movements for the soprano section to do while we were singing. One of the choir's coordinators had a fit! Dancing in church? A big NO! Dancing at the time was considered to be too secular. I often felt stifled in my worship as a child. Children just didn't get up out of their seats and worship during this time. I desired more from my worship experience.

PROCLAMATION: I want to give my best to you/I want to do what you ask me to/I want to go wherever you say/Just say the word and I'll obey/I want to live a life that's real/I want to serve you Lord for real/Lord you deserve all this and more/so I give you...more

As time progressed, and I got older, churches around the world began to change. Churches began ministering through dance, surrendering their bodies as a living sacrifice as they worshipped God. Today, I am proud to have witnessed this change in the church I grew up in. I am equally as proud that I along with some of the ones I grew up with, who also desired more, fought for this change. With any change people are hesitant and don't understand, but they are slowly but surely becoming more accepting. Not only that our dances are touching people spiritually and have brought people to Christ and back to church.

Seeing God move in my life, my family, my church I want to give Him my very best. He deserves all I have to give and even then I would not have given enough to repay Him for what He has already done and will continue to do for me.

I have vowed to follow this PROCLAMATION: I want to give my best to you/I want to do what you ask me to/I want to go wherever you say/Just say the word and I'll obey/I want to live a life that's real/I want to serve you Lord for real/Lord you deserve all this and more/so I give you...more

You're deserving of MORE...I give you MORE...

God deserves more of my time, more of my trust, more of my service, more of my love, more of my prayers, more of my respect, more of a relationship, more of my adoration, more of my obedience, more of my service, more of my sacrifice, more of my worship. When I think about the goodness of Jesus and all He's done for me...He deserves more.

This song truly awakened a testimony in me.

I surrender all/I surrender all/all to Thee my blessed Savior/I surrender all.

No comments:

Post a Comment