Monday, August 8, 2016

FAT Fortitude Diaries: Motivation Monday's: Den-Ray Allen's Weight Loss Story

One of my most fondest memories as a child is traveling to South Africa with People to People Student Ambassador Program. I was a chubby little Black girl from Chocolate City DC experiencing a whole different culture, on an entirely different continent at only 12 years old. I am blessed. I will never forget the baboons climbing our tour bus as we journeyed through Kruger National Park, the home with walls made from cereal boxes in Soweto, digging for diamonds in Bloemfontein, and staying with a host family who had a maid in Cape Town. But what made this excursion the most sacred were the friendships I formed. Robin and Den-Ray were my girls on the trip. After we left Africa and were back in the states I probably called Robin everyday and Den-Ray invited me to the coolest birthday sleepover ever. 

As time passed and we got older we lost contact. Luckily, during my time in undergrad I was able to find them both on Facebook. You know back when Facebook was only for college students. I was even able to link up with Den-Ray at a bar before she moved to Georgia.


Though social media has become detrimental to social interaction I can say that it has helped me find people I've lost contact with over the years. I was able to follow Den-Ray's weight loss journey through social media as she lost over 175 pounds.  I was eager to pick her brain for any wisdom she might have to help me and other women like me who are actively trying to get fit.

Den-Ray encourages us to be confident in choosing to get fit, "It's okay to acknowledge you want to change yourself without hating yourself. Society tends to make it seem like a person can't be proud of who they are and work towards weight loss," she says. She's right, society will criticize you if you're fat and then criticize you for trying to lose weight. I call it the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" mentality. This mentality also breeds the notion that if you are an overweight woman you are unhappy and don't love yourself. Den-Ray explains that every woman is different, "It depends on the woman. I know women with a wealth of confidence and are both women who are larger and smaller than I am." However, Den-Ray admits that body image is something she struggles with, "I was not happy at my former size, but I'm still considered over weight and am very happy. I have body image issues, but again I think that's personal," she confesses.


So what moment triggered Den-Ray to begin her weight loss journey you might ask? "I didn't like the way I looked in a t-shirt and jeans" she states. "I spent too much time looking for clothing that wasn't the typical "plus sized" garb. You know, A-line dresses, v-neck t-shirts, and wrap dresses." Admittedly the plus size industry has improved over the years but the cost is high and the selection is limited.

Watching Den-Ray's journey she has remained steadfast and is reaching her goals and looking amazing in her new dresses! Like many women I wanted to know the secret formula to Den-Ray's success here's her advice: "start small and build momentum. Take all advice with a grain of salt, and build a network of support. Most of all forgive yourself if you mess up."

One of God's greatest gifts is giving me inspiration through the lives of my friends and family. Thank you Den-Ray for sharing your journey with the world and epitomizing strength, love, and most of all FAT Fortitude.

Den-Ray's Favorite Healthy Meal: "I love a good Caesar salad with grilled chicken, roasted brussels are my fave vegetable," she proclaims.

Den-Ray's Favorite Workout Exercises: "I love Zumba, but weight lifting gives me the best results," she says.

To learn more about Den-Ray's journey and to get advice visit her website at: The Century Journey.
IG: @thecenturyjourney

No comments:

Post a Comment