Friday, January 22, 2021

Pandemic Travels: ¡Por el amor de México!



I've joined the list of cabin fever humans who traveled to Mexico during the pandemic. Listen, I was nervous just like many of you are who haven't taken that leap. But I do want to share my experience with readers who are toiling with the notion of hopping a flight to an island somewhere soon.

I want to start by recognizing the people of Mexico whose country, like the rest of the world,  was shut down for 5-6 months. Mexico, where the majority of its citizens make their living through tourism. Mexico, whose government did not provide their citizens any form of stimulus or unemployment. So when you land in Mexico with your mind set on the beach and margaritas, take a moment to remember that the people of Mexico are excited to see you and to serve you because they have been income less for months. Even now that the country is open, the hotels and resorts are only at 30% capacity, if that. So revenue is cut drastically. Keep that at the forefront of your mind when you travel. Make it a priority to tip and tip well. I am terrible at taking cash on trips even though I travel a lot. So if you are like me, I get it. Remind yourself to take some cash on your trip solely for tipping. 


My Mommy and I set en route to Cancún via United Airlines. The flight arriving to Cancún had more people than the flight departing. Both flights had several empty rows and seats. United offered lots of sanitizing wipes for customers to use aboard the plane which I appreciated because I am more of a wipes girl. Ya'll can't tell me that these hand sanitizers are created equal when some of them feel like that "sticky icky icky icky!" 


But let's move on chile.


Everyone adhered to the mask requirement. Thank God! A long with my mask I wore a Lincoln Electric face shield I bought from Amazon. I love this face shield because it adjusts well to my big ole' head and hair and it’s anti fog and scratch resistant. There’s nothing sleek or sexy about it, unless you are into kinky helmet action. If so, this is the product for you beloved! You will be serving helmet queen but you will be a safe helmet queen, purrrr! Do you need a shield? I honestly don’t feel it’s necessary to have one but if you want to take the extra precautionary measure to ease the traveling tension then get it! You will feel safe. United also offered an all in one snack bag which had a cookie-esq snack item, petit pretzels, and an 8.5 fl oz bottle of Dasani. In addition to the prepackaged snack bag, flight attendants also did their standard non alcoholic drink service. Instead of a cup of your favorite libation, they gave travelers a full can for their bladders to enjoy.


Once we arrived to Cancún, which I now want to call the Island of Sanitization, because sanitizing measures are plentiful! Whenever we boarded transportation our hands, bags, and shoes were sprayed. Before stepping into common areas at the resort you had to step onto a pad of disinfectant. Those serving had hand sanitizer ready to kiss your palms with. They not disinfecting shoes in the US at least not in DC. Correct me if I’m wrong. 


As a fat Black woman there are lots of things I have to mentally prepare for when traveling. Aside from the stares and side comments in native tongues I'm in constant battle with my inner thoughts. 


Confession: there is an adventurer living inside of me. 


I call her Nine Ball. Can you name that movie? Sis always wants to do something adventurous on vacation. Always up to no good. Always wit the shits. Like, she doesn’t let up! I have to tell her to pipe down cause weight limits are real. Her response, "who cares?" I'll never forget on one trip she jet skied in Hawaii for hours and then fell off the ski into the ocean tired AF! So I actually don’t have the tolerance for sis. She’s annoying! Anyway, she pulled her usual shenanigans and signed me up to accompany her to Xplor Park. My Mommy signed up too. God bless my mother because we both had no idea what we had gotten ourselves into. We had to hike through caves for miles. Five days later and my legs are still hurting! But boy oh boy it was an amazing feat! If you are in Cancún and want some adventure fun I’d highly suggest Xplor Park. Fat woman to fat woman: our bodies are capable. It may be harder, but we are able to do it all at our own pace. I did everything in the park except zip lining. Even though one of the guides tried to encourage me it would be fine, I couldn't push myself to do it. Nine Ball was bout it but I talked her overzealous ass right on down. I don’t trust my weight on nobody’s line unless Jesus is on the main line. 

Things to think about when traveling during the pandemic:

  • Backpack it! Carry a backpack with you on excursions. In it have an extra pair of clothes, sweater, shoes, sanitizer, water, masks.
  • Be aware but not panicky. Observe your surroundings, wash your hands, and wear a mask religiously. But don’t make yourself sick by panicking. It’s a more health conscious vacation but it’s still a vacation nonetheless. Enjoy every moment even through this new norm.
  • If you head to Mexico be kind to the citizens. Say, "hola" and "gracias." Have empathy. Tip! 
  • We stayed at the Occidental at Xcaret. It's a beautiful resort with great service! If you choose to stay at the Occidental you will be staying in the middle of the Riviera Maya surrounded by nature. Not even surrounded by, you are in the thick of it! A monkey will greet you in the morning on your balcony. My only critique is that the resort wasn’t handicapped friendly. Be intentional when booking your lodging. Think about everyone in your party and choose a place that will support their needs.

Fun Activities?

Xpá in Xcaret - Lots of walking through Xcaret Park to get there but once there you take a little boat across the lagoon to have a full body massage under a waterfall. 

Xplor River Swim - Swimming through a cave is an experience I won’t forget. You should try it. Lots of walking to get to the entry of the river swim.


I’m thankful to have spent this time with my Mommy and to return to the US unscathed and under a new administration. Pretty soon we all will be back to traveling on overbooked flights, long lines at the parks, and fighting over cabanas at the beach. Ahhh the things we take for granted, right? Traveling during a pandemic is most definitely a risk. But so is going to the grocery store given the times we are living in. So go now masked up or go later with the vaccine, choose what's best for you. Just make sure to add Mexico to the list of places to go. I've been to Cozumel and now Cancún twice. There are over 100 islands you could see in Mexico. You won't be disappointed.





My Next Trip?

I need to go “home” to New Orleans to recalibrate after a tumultuous year. 

Abroad? I’m not sure yet...but I definitely want to head back to Cuba once 46 opens the borders back up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment