Saturday, August 6, 2016

FAT Fortitude Diaries: Adding Insecurity To The List

Photo Credit: http://thatjeffcarterwashere.blogspot.com
Today I missed my training session with my trainer. I overslept having been up saying insomnia prayers Friday night till about 3 AM. A part of me is very disappointed I missed it because I have been developing a routine of waking up early on Saturdays, getting the workout over and done with, and having lots of energy for rest the day. Though I hate the whole process of working out, having that energy for a full day with a side of aching muscles, is a feeling I've learned to appreciate.

But another part of me is glad I missed it. As a FAT woman who is trying to get fit I realize I have some growing concerns that aren't really going away. I workout with whoever comes to the training session that day. I have developed a rapport with one of the ladies and I really like her. But she along with the other individuals in the session are always more fit than I am. They complete the exercises better and faster. I'm always the last person to finish the exercise rotation and though no one says anything I know I am holding the group up. It's even gotten to the point where sometimes I have to skip an exercise just to catch up. This honestly makes me feel disabled and incompetent. It's frustrating because I at least want to be able to keep up with the rest of the group. Even though I get a "Good job Cyn" acknowledgement from my trainer I know I didn't do a good job and it's only a formality. 

**This is a prime example of how my students who are English Language Learners or need differentiated learning techniques must feel when they are working at a different pace than other students in the class who might not have their same struggle.**

After speaking about it with one of my friends she said, "Cyn, I think in this case you may be a bit insecure..." Aaaaaah! Not insecure! Insecurity is a tough pill for me to swallow because I understand thoroughly the importance of exuding confidence and hate that I would ever come across as insecure. Insecurity is just another weakness to add to a list of personal weaknesses I wish didn't exist. 

But there's another way to look at insecurity. To be totally secure in something, you have to work at it and prove to yourself that you are capable and comfortable enough to dwell in whatever it may be. Everyone is insecure about something whether they choose to admit it or not. It's a very personal thing. So while being confidently secure is important it's not a bad thing to have a few insecurities. Security is the direct result of growth through fortitude. You have to fight for it. 

I swear I am so sick of fighting for everything I want in my life...but if I don't do it who will?

WORKOUT THIS WEEK
I worked out this week with my trainer on Wednesday. Another day of feeling incompetent but c'est la vie. It's my goal next week to work out once everyday. Pray my strength saints.

FOOD INTAKE THIS WEEK
I enjoy apple slices and peanut butter way too much. Peanut butter is disrespectful to my low calorie diet! I stayed on course this week. I went a little over 1500 calories on Thursday due to a radical purchase of chocolate graham crackers. Yea, I don't know what I was thinking on that one. Gone are the nights of sitting on the couch in my drawls with a bottle of Simply Lemonade and a box of chocolate Teddy Grahams watching Netfilx. But I will tell you one thing I am over ground turkey every damn week! I'm eating like my dentures ain't come in yet from the orthodontist and I have to live my life as a toothless nomad. Jesus take the fork!



No comments:

Post a Comment