Saturday, June 2, 2018

Red Table Talk Reflection: Seeking Warmth in the Discomfort

June is here and I couldn't be more ecstatic! Mainly because it marks the halfway point of the year. A time where we can conduct our own life audit and prepare ourselves to purposefully finish out the rest of the year. The living on purpose mantra. On June 1st I woke up per usual early. Instead of getting up I laid in my bed for awhile. Read some news articles on my phone, responded to some emails, and scrolled through social media. When I opened up my Facebook app I saw that there was another episode of Jada Pinkett-Smith's Red Table Talk which I absolutely adore. I looked at the time and I fortunately had 20 more minutes to spare before getting up and heading out in the world to be great. The day before was a terrible for me, but I had vowed to not let one bad day have any permanency in my tomorrows. I knew Jada would give me some good feels to add to my day.

This episode, Girls Trippin', Jada sat down at the red table to talk to Gabrielle Union. I love Gabrielle. I remember in the early days of her career when my little brother was crushing on her hard, I didn't get positive vibes from her. She seemed mean. Maybe it was because of Bring It On? I don't know but I wasn't a fan like I was for like say Regina Hall. However, post the uprising of social media my feelings changed. I love the affirmations she did on her pages, I loved the way she handled controversy surrounding being in love with D. Wade, I enjoy seeing virtually her business ventures and collaborations come to fruition, I love her voice in the #MeToo movement, and I adore seeing posts of her travels around the world. So needless to say I was excited to see two amazing Black women in dialogue with one another on a Friday morning. It was disheartening to know that there was ever discord between them but comforting to know that the discord could be resolved.

The conversation was everything I'd hoped it would be. There were so many golden nuggets that I wanted to keep and plaster on my wall. Jada felt it to frequently affirming Gabrielle's sentiments with "That part!" The women talked mostly about the importance of owning your role in the dissension amongst friendships with women and taking solace in the fact that there isn't instant gratification in taking the high road but it's a road that must be traveled through your healing.

"As an evolved person, as a healed person I am not interested in pain and I'm not interested in hurting you either." Gabrielle accounts.

She attributes her healing and evolution to therapy and silence. I can wholeheartedly relate. I know lots of people can't stand silence and are apprehensive about going to therapy but those two strong components have changed my world drastically. I think the main issue when you are opposed to therapy and silence is that you are afraid of confronting yourself. We all have to be fearless in our own healing in order to evolve into the best version of ourselves.


Success is the warmest place to hide and according to Jada and Gabrielle so is claiming the victim role in situations that affect our lives. Kudos and so much love to these two beautiful women for seeking the warmth in the discomfort and standing boldly in front of the world...no hiding.


A little more...
In this episode Gabrielle talked about a defining moment in her life when she was asked to name 10 things that make her happy and she couldn't. I thought I'd make my own list and share it as my blog is a living and breathing time vault of confessions that I hope to revisit years to come!

10 Things That Make Me Happy:

  1. Seeing God's grace in my life
  2. Creating/Acting
  3. My family
  4. My noodles
  5. Farmers Markets and restaurants with my Mommy
  6. Ladybug and God Mommy Adventures
  7. Traveling
  8. Long lasting friendships
  9. Netflix, wine, and chocolate
  10. A good unique cocktail










1 comment:

  1. I saw this and was impressed how both had grown from the experience. I found Gabby to be extremely forthcoming and I had to reflect on my own way of thinking. It was truly eye opening and helpful.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete