Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Confessions of a Purse Carrier: The Introduction



So...I have this theory of sorts. There are several women who are walking around earth (or some other strange place) suffering from "The Purse Carrying Syndrome". Let me explain: In every group of girlfriends there is always at least one girl in the group that is hit with the line: "Hey girl, can you hold my purse?" This occurs mostly in social settings (i.e. clubs, lounges and bars).




She is...




  • socially awkward yet is liked by many.


  • secretly shy
  • the comedian of the group

  • most of the time the money her friends have their purses she gave to them.


  • she may very well be a virgin or lack experience with the opposite sex.


  • she watches her friends live their lives boldly and when they come crashing down she's there to help them pick up the pieces.


  • she hides behind the facade of academia but cant find the appropriate rhetoric to hide loneliness.


  • she's the anchor for many except herself.

  • she's strong.

  • she holds her friends baggage while suppressing her own.


  • people say she's "too quiet" at times, but she's used to listening.


  • she places the feelings of others before her own.


  • she gives just to give and is uncomfortable when someone wants to return the favor.


"Hi, my name is Cyn and I suffer from Purse Carrier Syndrome". I am her and she is me. I guess this started back in high school at the school dances. I had a crush on Kwasi (aaaah memories) but my girls were always one step ahead of me...one lip gloss shade prettier (or so i thought). I have carried my friends purses for over 13 years. I have carried all types of purses big, medium sized, little. Gucci, Louis, and Fendi (all knock offs of course). I've carried the "I'm pregnant, I cant tell my mom" purse, the "I'm cheating on my boyfriend" purse, the "My baby Daddy ain't shit but I still love him purse", and the "I am going to commit suicide" purse.



I have reached a point in my life where I don't want to be that girl anymore. I love my friends but I want live with them not through them. This blog will document my journey towards success, love, and an amazing life. Letting go of my friend's baggage so that I can start to deal with my own....Welcome to "Confessions of a Purse Carrier"...Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This was amazing! So many women are suffering from the purse carrier syndrome and you nailed every quality she embodies! You never cease to amaze me! You are encouraging and you have a way of positively uplifting people....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on both sides of the spectrum. At times unsure of myself and relegated to the roll of carrier, or feeling (falsely) confident and passing it along. How ironic that in both positions I shared the same self-doubt as I attempted to create a persona capable of masking the truth.

    ReplyDelete