Friday, April 9, 2010

Dear Artist: "A Why Did I Get Married Too Review"


DISCLAIMER: If you have not seen Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married, Too" you might want to wait to read this post as it might ruin the outcome of the story for you. No worries this post will be waiting for your return.


Now, if you are continuing to read this do you hereby solemnly swear that you have seen this film? Do you agree that I am not responsible for the information disclosed in this post as it relates your movie going experience? OK I seriously have been on Jury Duty for too long! :)

______________________________________________________________

Dear Artist,


This is a letter to you. The actors, writers, directors, and filmmakers. The ones who went so far as to study their craft in college and have heard often at family dinners "what are you going to do with a degree in that?" Yes, you the rare breed. One who can't go to the movies, get their kids meal with a strawberry and raspberry slushy (shameless plug) sit down, and enjoy the movie like a regular civilian. No. We can't watch the film without examining the cinematography, challenging an actor's emotional recall, or pointing out the discrepancies in the script. WE HAVE BEEN CURSED! Yet, we have a responsibility...


Before I proceed I must say how much respect I have for Mr. Tyler Perry. He is a man that has built his empire from the ground up, knows who his audience is and remains faithful to them. He has created a body of work that has not only broken box office numbers but will continue to unite generational divides. He has brought families back to the movies and the theatre. I will continue to support his projects.


With that being said, I saw "Why Did i get Married, Too" yesterday. I went in with high expectations because everyone I had spoken with who had already seen the movie had nothing but great things to say about it. I strategically went during the day around 1:00 p.m. because I figured LaVanjunaye and 'nem would be at work or school and I would be able to watch the movie in an almost empty theatre. Remind me never to strategically plan to avoid LaVanjunaye and 'nem again. I failed miserably. They were all the way present and "all the way turned up" up in there, you hear me? Nevertheless, I walked in with my Delta bag in hand and one mission in mind...to see Lamman Rucker with his shirt off! Baaaaybeeee! But anyway, I digress...
The movie reminded me of a train wreck between Couple's Retreat and Waiting to Exhale colliding into Soul Food. When Janet Jackson took that golf club out and started smashing everything in the apartment I was waiting for her to transform magically into Angela Bassett or the "queen" boy at my high school who could recite the entire Waiting to Exhale movie by heart and then vogue his way to "And...Scene". There were too many themes/emotions crammed into this 2 hour film. Arguing, divorce, infidelity, trust, Cancer, rage, psychological issues, jealousy, self-esteem, regret, revenge and death. I sat there 10 minutes after the movie ended not knowing if I wanted to slit my wrists or take a Valium. Are Black marriages really that draining? If this is the case I don't know why you got married either! And it didn't help that LaVanjunaye and 'nem would lash out at the movie as if they had been through the same situations. "Yea gurl, dats right! Get dat gun gurl! Shoot his Black ass!" Wait a minute Nay-Nay! Have you shot your husband before? And you are sitting in this movie theatre with me? Nay-Nay boo I'm concerned.
Artists we must start creating new stories. This is a challenge, a charge, a call to action. I know it's hard but its needed. Tell a story true to you. Tell a story that can change lives. Its our responsibility. Art is nothing without outreach.
Overall, "Why Did I Get Married, Too" did it's job. It made you laugh. However, there is more impact that must be made in our communities. Laughter can heal but it does not rebuild. The only way to heal a nation is through the artist. Never give up. Keep Art Alive!
Love,
A Purse Carrier




2 comments:

  1. Purse Carrier,
    You are right about all the themes in the movie. That's how marriage is though; for real. I've been there. You don't have the luxury of dealing with one theme at a time. All of the problems are present at the same time. The only thing missing from the Perry film was the 3-D glasses; because in marriage the problems present themselves in 3-D.

    That being said, Perry is the only person telling "our" stories in a "family-oriented" atmosphere. He's carrying a heavy purse! But at least it's a signature purse -- his signature (You go boy! I'm proud of you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this review. It is spot on and well thought out and wonderfully/entertainingly written. I particularly love when you write "The movie reminded me of a train wreck between Couple's Retreat and Waiting to Exhale colliding into Soul Food." The movie was disappointing. None of the scenes (as with most of his movies) connect to one another. The transitions are quite random. You would think that with all of Perry's experience thus far, he would develop his writing and directing skills. Don't get me wrong I love my black movies and will always support them no matter what, but like you said we gotta make strides to rebuild. Also I have a problem with Janet Jacksons skills as an actress. I didn't believe one single emotion or moment from her acting (as with all her movies)in this film. May her brother rest in peace, but could't she have channeled some of that pain to her character to make it believable? I don't know maybe I am just being too hard on her. And furthermore did you notice how homophobic alot of the themes in this movie were? Angela calling Mike a "Queen". The gay guy popping out of the cake toward the end, Janet Jackson repeatedly referring to Gavin as a girl, bitch etc. I recently read a review that specifically points these facts out about the film and Perry's attempt to remove the speculations that he himself is gay. Which you'd be a fool to not see that he is, particularly since he only casts attractive, muscular men in all his films. Which of course plays on everyones fantasy of the perfect man. The problem I have with his films is that (and please if I offend anyone I am sorry)they cater specifically to what would be considered the ghetto crowd. There is never a challenging plot to ponder on. He laces the films with homophobic remarks . Hires as much eye candy as possible (whether they have acting skills or not), basically has writing and performances in these films that we can see for free at our family bar-b-que, memorial day weekend celebration, Sunday dinner after church etc. and simply places it in beautiful vacation spot or setting where blacks are thriving (Atlanta). It's quite genius when you think about it. The question is how do we make it better?

    ReplyDelete